Monday, March 22, 2010

Chance

By chance I stumbled across two houses that I thought were insanely beautiful yesterday. By chance, both were designed by Neeson Murcutt Architects which I should've known given that I worked with Rachel Neeson's brother who had shown me some of her and Nicholas Murchatts work. The simplicity and honesty of their work definitely parallels with the design lines that I love, making me think of the Freshwater House from Chenchow Little Architects (Studio 3, 151 Foveaux Street Surry Hills NSW 2010 Australia P: +61 02 9357 4333).

Built for a family of 4, Freshwater House is both functional without compromising on design aesthetic. It required a degree of adaptability to accommodate its residents – meaning the final product is a flexible yet specific space that nods at the continuing changes in the lives that reside within its walls.

Overlooking the beach where I spent most of my summer, the house is surrounded by gunmetal, steel screens, which - from the beach - look incredibly imposing, however, from the inside provide a sense of security and safety. Once opened, the interior is flooded with light and views to die for with the black ceiling minimising the glare from the water and, running parallel to the horizon, acting like a frame for the view making it more like a never ceasing but constantly changing piece of art. Chrome (reflecting the water and the sky) as well as the smoke mirror contrasts against weathered timber making the space warm and inviting rather than cold and grey. So unbelievably crazy stunning.











No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails