Monday, March 22, 2010

WildChildSouthernStyled

After feeling the pinch of a rather mental and intense weekend, it didn't help when these kids popped up on my radar.

A group that organises 'antics': EVIE push the party boundaries to a whole new level. Formed by a group of people from a variety of backgrounds, the EVIE movement aims to "re-invigorate society's sense of humor whilst altering perceptions of social interaction" via the channels that we bare our deepest souls through - photography, art, music, fashion, and of course, crazy events and stunts. Responding to the bland, contrived, and boring, EVIE is about making people smile. About reinvigorating a youthful exuberance and freedom of expression, in life and living in the moment. I love that they get raucous.

The philosophy of these guys also reminded me of idea one of the coolest contemporary art 'performances' (installation??) that I've seen - done by amazing British contemporary artist Stuart Semple. Titled "Happy Clouds", Semple let over 2000 pink smiling faces made from soap, helium and vegetable dye float over the Tate Modern towards London's financial district. In his words...:

"I just wanted to make a piece of work that would cheer people up a bit. I've had enough of the doom and gloom in the air and I wanted to show something completely positive floating up to the sky. This was the most straight forward way I could think of to literally contribute something happy to the atmosphere. I'm hoping it might put a smile on a few people's faces as they go through their day. I'm also keen to help people remember that the success of British cultural industries is relatively new, the Tate itself wasn't there a decade ago. I believe these cultural industries have been hugely important in the re-juvination of parts of the city, and a very wholesome and important contributor to the economy. I know at times like this it's easy to make creativity a low priority but I want to show that on a very human level an artistic idea might be able to do something important even for a fleeting moment." -Stuart Semple, 2009
Happy Monday x
EVIE snow. Just a reminder to live life.

EVIE wishes 400 Melbourneites a very happy April Fools Day 2009
Stuart Semple "Happy Clouds"

Stuart Semple, Happy Clouds, Tate Modern, Southbank, London http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKwO7avwOTA

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails